Monday, March 20, 2006

In Other News...

So much is going on with the wedding right now, but so much is going on in the Texas Panhandle (where I'm from and where I still call home) with all the fires, it seems silly to rant about finding the perfect bridesmaid dress and the search this weekend for it. So, for just this one post, you-all get to see the more serious me.

At last total, over 840,000 acres burned. Along with that went livestock, houses, cars, and unfortunately people. At least 10,000 head of livestock were killed and those who survived need food because often, the barn that held the hay burned to the ground and the rangeland they grazed on has been burned.

As an article in the Amarillo paper put it, the fire took on a life of its own and took the lives and livlihoods of many with it.

I could go on with numbers and statistics, but my sister Carrie put it so eloquently that I'm going to just link to her blog and let you read her post. Say a prayer for those affected. They need it right now.

3 comments:

sara said...

It is really sad...everyone is in our thoughts. Our area in Australia just lived through a very severe season of bushfires, so I know the anxiety of hoping family, friends, and strangers and animals are all okay.

Baby Gator said...

I saw the coolest thing the other day and it made me cry. It still makes me tear up now. When I was heading to P-ville...where my Mom lives...we saw four big wrecker turcks with flat beds loaded with hay headed north to help out. We counted 17 round bales on each truck. It won't be enough to feed all the livestock, but it will help. It was surprising how many people pulled together to help out. People with pickups and trialers...18 wheelers that took the time to take off work and go get hay knowing they weren't going to get paid for it. It really moved you when you see something like that. Sorry didn't mean to go into all that detail. I hope you found the right dress. What are the colors going to be? When is the wedding? You know...all the normal questions.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Thank God for the rain!!