Wednesday, March 29, 2006

I just don't get it...


Disclaimer: This is NOT, I repeat NOT, a reflection on P, my best friend and the person for whom I am the Maid of Honor. Any similarities to events surrounding P & M's wedding is unintentional and purely accidental. No, seriously, she isn't a bridezilla!

There are so many things about weddings that I don't get. Why a bride goes apeshit in the weeks before the wedding. Why if things aren't perfect some brides think it is the end of the world. Why are things like cutesy little scrolls and bubbles and the like necessary. Isn't the whole point of the day to bring two people together in front of witnesses? Does it really matter if the liner down the aisle is wrinkled or the flower girl didn't drop the flowers in a perfect pattern? Isn't the end result the same. The bride and groom are married at the end of the day whether things are 'perfect' or not.

Don't get me wrong. I understand the desire to throw a good party. I have planned enough events and had things go horribly wrong to the point that I've wanted to ( and had to fight the very strong urge to) choke people, any people, who got in my way. Still, at the end of the day when the party/event/meeting is over, most people don't realize anything really went wrong.

I was watching a show on WE called
Bridezillas the other day and one of the brides had a complete and total meltdown over the fact that one of her nine bridesmaids got a haircut that she, the bride, didn't like. Come on! It is her, the bridesmaid's, hair. So what if she got it cut and now all nine bridesmaids can't look like clones going up the aisle. What does it matter? There was a bride who had a meltdown and called the police because the rental car had a flat. No one's fault. They came to fix it and she went nuts because it was her big day and they were ruining it. She actually called the police, the rental car people were asked to leave and the tire didn't get fixed.

I guess my lack of understanding comes with my desire to look at a bigger picture. I try really hard to look for the bigger picture in life and not focus too much on the nitpicky details. Or maybe it is the fact that I've been to so many weddings and seen them from the inside and I've seen all the things that can go wrong (and right) at a wedding.

Still, at the end of the day, two people have pledged to love and cherish one another and will (hopefully) live happily ever after. Isn't the ever after part the important part, not the ceremony. Isn't the ceremony just one hour (more or less) of one day of the rest of your life? Shouldn't the most important day be not the day of the wedding, but every single day after that?

2 comments:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I cannot believe that some women would actually get that bent out of shape! Some of the best weddings I have seen are because things happened that were not planned. That is what made them unique and brings back that *remember when....* smile.

Patti said...

Absolutely!