Tuesday, January 17, 2006

And the Award Goes to...

NOTE: I was SICK when I found out and therefore overly whiney and emotional.

I guess it was appropriate that I should find out my best friend is getting married on the day the awards season kicked off. By the time this wedding happens in July or August, I have a feeling I am going to have logged enough acting hours to qualify for my SAG card and earn nominations for various awards. Let’s see, is there a category for Best Portrayal of a Happy Bridesmaid? Maybe that would just fall under the category of Best Supporting Actress.

So, this will be trip number three down the aisle for me. Most likely it will be my last one. Both sisters are married now. They were trips one and two. Now, my best friend is getting married and since this officially makes me the oldest never married girl I know, it will probably be my last. It is kind of bittersweet, I guess. Anyway, here’s to one more dress I’ll never wear again. One more round of wedding showers I smile and laugh through. One more wedding I pretend to be excited about.

Notice I very deliberately didn’t say “pretend to be happy about.” I am happy for my friend. There is no pretending about that. She is marrying a great guy – I suppose, anyway. I’ve yet to meet him. I don't think she'd be marrying him if he weren't great. I am happy for her, I’m just not excited about the prospect of one more wedding where I am bombarded with questions like “When are we going to do this for you?” and “Have you met anyone new?” Worse yet are the platitudes of “Don’t worry, you’ll meet someone someday.” and “You’ll meet someone, don’t worry.” and my favorite “I’ll happen for you. Just be patient.” PATIENT!? Job and I are quickly becoming synonymous for patience. Besides, I’m 35 years old – almost – and it is my understanding that in order to marry someone you actually have to date. But that is a story for another blog on another day.

I don’t want to sound bitter. I’m really not. HONEST! Frustrated? I’ll admit to that. A little sad about the end of an era? Yes, that too. I mean, we’ve been friends for nearly 25 years and she is the last person I know, and sometimes only person I know, who understands what I mean when I lament being single still at my age. Disillusioned by the fading prospect for my own nuptials? Yes, yes, that, too. Bitter that my friend is marrying and I’m not? No, not at all.

So, the wedding planning begins in earnest. I get to pick out the dress, I::shudder:: plan a shower, I paste on a smile and I muddle through somehow. Oh well.

No comments: