Tuesday, June 06, 2006

You're always 17 in your hometown...

I went back to my hometown this weekend for the "official" engagement party and the bridal shower. It is amazing the looks I got. It was funny because people looked at me and recognized me and it was as if I belonged. Then it was as if they realized that I had been gone for a long time -- since high school. I have no family left there and haven't been back "home" in probably 15 years. That is when people did the double-take and frown at me.

It is so strange how so much has changed and yet so much is still the same. The faces were the same -- older and a little heavier -- and the trees were bigger, but for the most part it was the same. Then as you look closer, nothing is the same. You really can't go home again.

Once everyone got over the shock of seeing me, it was a great visit. I got to see a lot of the folks who made such an impression on me and had a hand in making me the person I am today. The bridal shower was a cross section of my life in school from elementary through high school. My very favorite teacher ever was even there and I got to give her a big hug and say thank you -- and apologize for being such a brat in class.

Yes, Stepmonster was there and was in fine form. She was highly medicated so she was actually bearable. P and I were discussing it and she looks plastic. We think she has had some serious work done to her face. She couldn't frown! Don't get me wrong, I'd have work done if I had the money. I would just hope that I would have a better surgeon.

More later. It is late and I'm tired.

No comments: